- By Mary Anne
- No Comments
This is the time of year that resolutions abound. Rather than focus on the popular diet and lifestyle kind, I thought it would be appropriate to share some design resolutions near and dear to my heart. I have been guilty of all these over the years, but now I am much older and wiser and
should know better!
- Don’t buy something just because it is on sale or cheap. You may be able to find some perfect deals that will make your heart sing, but more often you will be ultimately disappointed with your purchase and it will cost you more in the long run when you need to replace it.
- Don’t buy anything you don’t truly love. Otherwise you are just settling and it won’t have long term staying power. Plus, you are guaranteed that it will work with all the other pieces you have collected that you also love. Your home will be a happy place because you are surrounded by things you love.
- Don’t follow trends. This especially goes for big ticket items like large pieces of furniture, bathrooms and kitchens. They have 5-10 year cycles if you go trendy. Instead, keep the main bones neutral and classic. Then add in smaller touches that reflect trends you love and that are easy to switch out when you tire of them.
- Don’t be afraid of paint. Like they say, it’s only paint and it won’t cost you a fortune to change! A new colour can completely update your room and a fresh coat of the same colour will feel fresh!
- Don’t try to completely finish a room in one go. A well designed room should look like it has evolved over time, not purchased intact from a furniture store showroom. If you follow the above points, then this will happen naturally. Be patient. It takes time to find pieces you truly love and to collect meaningful treasures on your journey through life.